Wednesday 20 April 2011

A Pile of Stones

Lino Cut Prints

I have been inspired by the spirituality of Poland, or more perhaps the sense of the importance of commemorating the past, embracing memory and physicalising those memories somehow; through candles, flowers, or in the Jewish tradition, placing a stone by the grave or memorial of that which you wish to commemorate. So I decided to create free-thought prints to make into a book, something to take away from my year in Krakow and to build on, on my return. By free-thought I mean just random images that have come to me whilst being here and about being here, thinking about my practice or patterns, objects and issues that I recognise here, and also things that I have no idea where they come from. Its a freeing process because I don't have to think about these prints being conceptual or having some kind of deeper meaning. They are just thoughts, I suppose like a visual journal, but I like to think of it as a memorial; a compilation or catalogue of memory and thought.


The Book

(Quote from Everything is Illuminated, Jonathan Safran Foer)




















Litografia
My first attempt at lithography...

A woman’s hair is the gateway to her sensuality..?

No comments:

Post a Comment