Tuesday 19 April 2011

The Body Immemorial


My films and photographs using these distinctively Polish grave candles led me to thinking about what they represent, what they stand in place of. I was trying to identify that invisible something in these offerings to a memory, a person, an event. But really they do not represent something that is present but invisible, they act as a physical sign for something that can no longer be physical. Essentially a physical body. They re-physicalise the deceased body, allow it to have a physical presence and to be remembered. Like a grave stone. And this is what I have started to consider as a part of my painting workshop, largely through the combination of the body and wax.



Immemorial: To extend of exist beyond the reach of memory.





No comments:

Post a Comment